quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Re: Reboot Quickly?

On 06/02/2013 10:49 AM, Angelo Compagnucci wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thank you for the exhaustive reply.
>

>     I had originally planned on making quickly vcs-agnostic, so you could
>     use it with git instead of bzr if you wanted.  However, so many of
>     quickly's commands specifically targeted Launchpad, and features that
>     are unique to Launchpad (PPAs), that it became impossible to make a
>     clean break.
>

> Great, this is a feature I was looking for! Can we in a clean way
> disable feature if the project is not based on bzr? I will look at the code.

You would need to sub-class the template, but with the rebooted code
this is at least easier that it was before.  You can also sub-class
individual commands and just over-write the parts that do something with
bzr.

If you look at the example ubuntu-git-template in the reboot code, you
can see I'm doing exactly that with the Create command:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~quickly/quickly/reboot/view/head:/data/templates/ubuntu-git-application/__init__.py

>     I was able to get a number of Quickly's commands working in my rebooted
>     code.  However, I chose Python3 for the new version, and when I got to
>     the commands that needed to access Launchpad I got stuck, because
>     launchpadlib doesn't support Python3 yet (one of it's dependencies is
>     the root of the problem).
>

> Ok, so at least at the beginning, may we make a reboot quickly version
> without launchpad? I will work on this, my employer offered me to work
> on this project with part of my working time because I'm using it in a
> project. Really I don't want to miss this opportunity, so I think I can
> give quickly a boost.

Quickly's core doesn't care about Launchpad, it's up to the template
code.  Currently, not even the template code uses Launchpad, because of
the lack of python3 support.  You should be able to use the templates as
they are now as a starting point for what you need to do.

>     If you want to pick up where I left off, my code is at
>     https://launchpad.net/quickly/reboot and you can read the series of blog
>     posts I wrote about it at http://mhall119.com/tag/quickly/
>

> Is there a TODO with with missing features somewhere or the blog page
> http://mhall119.com/2012/12/quickly-reborn/ is updated?

That's the only list I have.  You may also be interested in the reboot
spec and discussion hosted by Didier: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Quickly/Reboot

> Thank you form tour time!

No problem, I'm glad that somebody is still using Quickly and has an
interest in maintaining it.

Michael Hall
mhall119@xxxxxxxxxx