rednotebook team mailing list archive

Re: A lot of things can't be translated

Hi,

Am 13.03.2011 07:15, schrieb MyO:
There are a bunch of stuff that are not listed in .po-files and thus
cannot be translated. The examples are:

Placeholder day 1 (Hello!):

  Tags [this category should not be translated]
   Documentation
   Work

  Cool Stuff [should be translated]
   Ate **two** cans of spam

  Movies [should be translated]
   Monty Python's Life Of Brian

Placeholder day 2 (Annotations in Categories):

Almost whole placeholder day 2, including texts, categories and
annotations.

Placeholder day 3 (Multiple Entries):

The whole placeholder day 3 (it's not too big) and tags.

Placeholder day 4 (Todo list):

The whole placeholder day 4, tags, categories and annotations.
My thought was to first get the more important parts of the application translated and then focus on the stuff that is just read once. Any opinions on that? Do you guys think it would be good to have those examples translated?

Also, Jendrik, isn't it just easier to create four big bulks of
multiline text in .po-files instead of splitting each into pieces,
like it's done for Placeholder day 1 right now?
Well, in principle yes, but if I change one word in a multiline text, the whole thing has to be translated again. I couldn't come up with a better solution yet. Anyone has a better idea? I have thought about using sphinx [1] for documentation and making those strings translatable [2], but have not had much time investigating further. Anyone interested in having a look how this could be done?

Please comment on those questions, it's much easier to decide some stuff if you have heard more opinions.

Cheers,
Jendrik

[1] http://sphinx.pocoo.org <http://sphinx.pocoo.org/>
[2] http://sphinx.pocoo.org/latest/intl.html#intl