Use of rohc

Hello there,
                I am a linux and rohc newbie. I am trying to get my head
around the rohc implementation and how I can use it for testing. I want to
send rohc compressed packets from system 1 to system 2, unidirectional mode.
I am confused as to how the rohc tunnel works. Am I right in assuming that
once you follow the instructions shown in FAQ#639, whatever packets I send
on the tunnel is compressed using rohc to the min possible size? If that is
the case then how can I get statistics for the stream?

Now if I were to write a program of my own that sends IP packets or
IP/UDP/RTP packets, how can I compress the stream so that a decompressor can
then receive the stream to perform comparisons/statistic generation of the
compression performed?
Nikhil

Follow ups