Re: Use of rohc

Hi,

>                 I am a linux and rohc newbie. I am trying to get my
> head around the rohc implementation and how I can use it for testing.
> I want to send rohc compressed packets from system 1 to system 2,
> unidirectional mode. I am confused as to how the rohc tunnel works.
> Am I right in assuming that once you follow the instructions shown in
> FAQ#639, whatever packets I send on the tunnel is compressed using
> rohc to the min possible size?

It should be. If you think it is not the case, please report the
problem with full details to reproduce it.

> If that is the case then how can I get statistics for the stream?

See the explanations from the header of tunnel.c file [1].

In practice, you should start the rohctunnel app as follow:
  rohctunnel [yours options here] 3>comp_stats 4>decomp_stats

The comp_stats and decomp_stats will then contain the statistics for
compression and decompression processes.

> Now if I were to write a program of my own that sends IP packets or
> IP/UDP/RTP packets, how can I compress the stream so that a
> decompressor can then receive the stream to perform
> comparisons/statistic generation of the compression performed?

You may find information to use the ROHC library in your own program in
FAQ #638.

Regards,
Didier Barvaux

[1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~didier-barvaux/rohc/main/annotate/head:/app/tunnel/tunnel.c#L39