Re: [Question #195843]: What is needed for RoHC with SIP?

Didier Barvaux posted a new comment:
Rolf,

> If i understand this right, then the best would be to use SIGCOMP and ROHC
> together to get a low bandwith SIP communication, SIGCOMP for the signalling
> (XML) part and ROHC for the IP, UDP, RTP and TCP header part?

You're right.

> I not really understand the relationship between RHOC and SIGCOMP yet and
> their possible combined usage. Here http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~sri/students/#priyesh,
> i saw the effect and an implementation of SIGCOMP and i think this could be done with
> a reasonable amount of work, but i would really like get an understanding of the possibilities
> to get the maximum out of these concepts.

SIGCOMP compresses the payload of the SIP packets. ROHC compresses the IPv4, IPv6, UDP,
UDP-Lite, RTP, TCP headers. There are 2 different ways to reduce bandwidth usage. There are
not incompatible: you can use SIGCOMP to compress the payloads of the IP/UDP/SIP packets
and ROHC for the headers of the IP/UDP/SIP and IP/UDP/RTP packets.

The ROHC compression of the IP/UDP/SIP packets will not be very interesting because headers
are small in comparison to payloads (unless SIGCOMP is very efficient on the payload).