Re: [Question #226938]: build instructions for IPROHC

Didier Barvaux proposed the following answer:
Matthew,

> On to the next issue, it seems that the compile assumes that the .h files
> of rohc-lib are in some magical default location, however, mine are not.
> How do I change where cmake is looking for these include files, or where
> do i need to make sure the rohc-lib .h files are copied to?

I wouldn't say "magical" because they are the standard directories /usr/include
for includes and /usr/lib for libraries, but you're right there is a problem with the
configuration of the build system.

We can specify a different directory with the following command:
 $ PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/tmp/rohc-main/lib/pkgconfig/ cmake CMakeLists.txt

It checks that the ROHC libraries are available in /tmp/rohc-main/lib/ and the include
files in /tmp/rohc-main/include with pkg-config. However those information are not
used afterwards.

If fixed the problem in revision 100:
    revno: 100
    committer: Didier Barvaux
    branch nick: iprohc
    timestamp: Sun 2013-04-21 14:21:13 +0200
    message:
      Use include paths reported by pkg-config for ROHC library instead of default one.

> When I compile iprohc can not find rohc_traces.h and dllexport.h from the rohc-lib
> library. As a temporary fix I copied both of those files to /usr/local/include. After
> that change the build still fails with the following error:
>
> my question is does iprohc only work with the main trunk of lib-rohc and not the
> distributed 1.5.1?

That's right. The iprohc application requires the main dev branch of the ROHC library,
ie. the future 1.6.0 release. You can get it from Launchpad with Bazaar.

I have just added a check for the newer functions that were introduced after the
1.5.x branch:
    revno: 101
    committer: Didier Barvaux
    branch nick: iprohc
    timestamp: Sun 2013-04-21 14:22:54 +0200
    message:
      Check the presence of the ROHC function rohc_compress2() during configuration.

It now fails as follow with one 1.5.x version:
    $ PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/tmp/rohc-1.5.x/lib/pkgconfig/ cmake CMakeLists.txt
    -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
    -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- works
    -- Detecting C compiler ABI info
    -- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
    -- Looking for include file pthread.h
    -- Looking for include file pthread.h - found
    -- Looking for pthread_create
    -- Looking for pthread_create - not found.
    -- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads
    -- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads - not found
    -- Looking for pthread_create in pthread
    -- Looking for pthread_create in pthread - found
    -- Found Threads: TRUE
    -- Found PkgConfig: /usr/bin/pkg-config (found version "0.28")
    -- checking for module 'rohc'
    --   found rohc, version 1.5.x
    -- Found ROHC: 1.5.x
    -- Looking for rohc_compress2 in rohc_comp
    -- Looking for rohc_compress2 in rohc_comp - not found
    CMake Error at common/FindROHC.cmake:41 (message):
      rohc_compress2() not available in the ROHC library, please upgrade to 1.6.0
      or greater
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
      common/CMakeLists.txt:6 (find_package)

Thank you for your reports!