Re: [Question #228952]: I can reliably crash iprohc client

Didier Barvaux requested more information:
Matthew,

As foreword, I encourage you to subscribe the mailing list directly
instead of using the "questions" on the Launchpad website. You may
subscribe on the page https://launchpad.net/~rohc/+join , then send your
questions/problems by email to the rohc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx address.

My answers below.

> My test case.
>
> 1. Start up rohc server and client communicating via
>      private ip tunnel using ip addresses 10.0.0.1 -> 10.0.0.11
> 2. Send a large amount of data client -> server.
> 3. Client core dumps.
>
> Now I can do all manner of other things successfully, for instance
> I can ssh from client to server and have no problem. Here is the
> text from the client. Note: nothing of interest shows up in
> /var/log/messages when the crash occurs.

Thank you for reporting the problem! I opened a dedicated ticket: https://bugs.launchpad.net/rohc/+bug/1180480
Please answer to my questions and upload files there.

What version of the ROHC library do you use? What version of the IP/ROHC
application do you use? What is your Linux distribution?

> The command I use on the server side in this particular test was
> "scp rohcuser@10.0.0.11:/home/rohcuser/test.tar.bz2"

How large is the test.tar.bz2 file?

> ./RunClient: line 1: 10245 Aborted (core dumped) /home/rohcuser/workspace/iprohc/client/iprohc_client --remote $1 --port 3126 --dev rohcclient --debug --p12 /home/rohcuser/certificate/ia.p12

The client crashed. A coredump shall be available somewhere on your
filesystem. You'll probably find a file named "core" in the current
directory or in /.

Upload the "core" file, the /home/rohcuser/workspace/iprohc/client/iprohc_client binary and also the files listed by:
 $ ldd /home/rohcuser/workspace/iprohc/client/iprohc_client
on the ticket https://bugs.launchpad.net/rohc/+bug/1180480

> p.s. in the logs for the client and the server I get this message a lot:
> "localhost rsyslogd-2177: imuxsock lost 708 messages from pid 6429
> due to rate-limiting"

This is probably due to the IP/ROHC client sending too many traces to
the log daemon. The log daemon rsyslogd tells you that it was not quick
enough and missed many messages. Avoid using the --debug option for the
IP/ROHC client or server when transfering large bunch of data. The
--debug option slows down the tunnel by several factors.