Re: [Question #245813]: Size of compressed packets in ROHC tunnel

Didier Barvaux proposed the following answer:
> Thank you for your explanation. I'll take a look in the IP/ROHC tunnel.
> I discovered that the rohc tunnel over ethernet can give me better results
> than UDP one.

The IP/ROHC tunnel does not use UDP, but raw IP packet. Overhead is
therefore smaller.

The ROHC over Ethernet tunnel got an even smaller overhead if you use
end-to-end Ethernet links. That's OK on a LAN (with no IP router
involved) or on some rare WAN with Ethernet as a convergence layer.

> In my lab, I'm trying to create a ROHC tunnel between two Openflow (OF)
> switches. My topology is linear (2 hosts and 2 switches):
> [...]
> The major question is that using switches I can't attach interfaces with
> associated ip address. So my rohc tunnel doesn't have any ip address
> associated. I think that's the problem of my experiment.

If you specified "ethernet" as type for the rohctunnel application, you
have specified a destination MAC address. Did you specified the MAC
address of the eth1 interface of S2 ?

A network capture of the traffic between S1 and S2 could help you
diagnose the problem. Check the Ethernet addresses.

Please check if eth1 is not part of a Linux bridge. That might explain
that packets cannot be retrieved by the rohctunnel app.