sandbox-developers team mailing list archive

Re: Let's discuss the 'add a sandbox gui' blueprint

Diego,
Hi.  My comments are below.

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 11:19 PM, Diego Medina <diego@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Patrick Crews <gleebix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >   My initial thoughts on this were PyGTK,
>
> Even though I'm not a Python developer, having a real multi platform
> gui would be great.

I think so too.  I think this could even be implemented with the built-in
Tkinter / Tix modules in the standard Python library.  The GUI's are nicely
cross-platform, but there can be some odd 'ticks' moving from one to another
- I developed one in Windows that didn't 100% on Mac OS X.  Of course I
still have some things to learn, so I'll take the blame on that one : )

> > Finally:
> >
> > setting a standalone server using Lighty (http://www.lighttpd.net/)
> > and creating a web interface.
>
> So this would be a "second" options, correct? because using PyGTK
> would mean having a desktop app.

That is what I am thinking.  It could also possibly used as a whiteboard of
sorts?  Offering ideas, etc.

Of course, the more I look into this, the more I think this shouldn't be too
bad in Python at all.  I'll start working on some prototypes this week.  I
admit I have a fondness for the desktop application as well ;-)

Thanks,
Patrick.