sandbox-developers team mailing list archive

Sandbox GUI

Hi everyone.
I'm currently experimenting with the sandbox GUI using PyGTK and hope to
have some screenshots pretty soon.

Here are my initial (rough) thoughts:

1)  I'd like to just have the GUI utilize what Sandbox provides, not
building too much GUI-only stuff (functions, data, etc).  The GUI callbacks
will just call the regular sandbox functions (make_sandbox, etc) after
collecting the necessary parameters.  This is so the GUI doesn't become a
forced thing, but remains an option.

2)  The one exception I have to this is in creating a Sandbox manager.  What
I'm thinking about is just collecting certain data when creating a sandbox
via the GUI (ports used, number of servers in a sandbox,
replication/topology, etc) and storing this in something simple like a text
file.  This will make it much easier for a GUI user to have a useful and
informative catalog of current sandboxes (and also allow the GUI to provide
certain situational usage features, like starting individual slaves, etc).

My current plan is to work on the CREATE_SANDBOX elements first.  I can't
really work on the management side of things until I start collecting good
sandbox-related data to populate the Manager.

Any thoughts are welcome and my plans aren't set in stone.  I just wanted to
share an initial plan of attack and see if there is any feedback.

Thanks,
Patrick.

Follow ups