sandbox-developers team mailing list archive

Re: Sandbox GUI

Patrick,
Thanks for starting this project!

Some comments inline.

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:04 PM, Patrick Crews <gleebix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> I'm currently experimenting with the sandbox GUI using PyGTK and hope to
> have some screenshots pretty soon.
> Here are my initial (rough) thoughts:
> 1)  I'd like to just have the GUI utilize what Sandbox provides, not
> building too much GUI-only stuff (functions, data, etc).  The GUI callbacks
> will just call the regular sandbox functions (make_sandbox, etc) after
> collecting the necessary parameters.  This is so the GUI doesn't become a
> forced thing, but remains an option.

Fully agree.

> 2)  The one exception I have to this is in creating a Sandbox manager.  What
> I'm thinking about is just collecting certain data when creating a sandbox
> via the GUI (ports used, number of servers in a sandbox,
> replication/topology, etc) and storing this in something simple like a text
> file.  This will make it much easier for a GUI user to have a useful and
> informative catalog of current sandboxes (and also allow the GUI to provide
> certain situational usage features, like starting individual slaves, etc).

I agree on the principle, but I object on the implementation.
The sandbox has already implemented functions about collecting the
ports and general info for each sandbox. If the GUI needs more info,
that should be provided through the sandbox scripts. If what you need
is currently unavailable, let's discuss it, before duplicating
efforts. Look at sbtool --help, for a list of the available features.
The topology is not collected anywhere at the moment, but it would be
easy to do so. If we want to implement a repository, we should choose
a format that is easily accessible by both Perl and Python, possibly
without need of installing additional modules in either language.

> My current plan is to work on the CREATE_SANDBOX elements first.  I can't
> really work on the management side of things until I start collecting good
> sandbox-related data to populate the Manager.

OK.

> Any thoughts are welcome and my plans aren't set in stone.  I just wanted to
> share an initial plan of attack and see if there is any feedback.
> Thanks,
> Patrick.

Cheers

Giuseppe