savanna-all team mailing list archive

Re: Hadoop Provider Integration

Erik,

>> This API is meant to allow a client using the Savanna API to make
invocations on the underlying provider (Savanna effectively intercepts that
call and forwards to the appropriate end-point). The alternative is of
course that a client leverages the get_management_URIs() call to get a hold
of the right end-point; it's just a bit more cumbersome. However, we
believe that this will be pretty standard fare for all but the most basic
use-cases.
Please see the document savanna_invoke_provider_rest_api_flow for an
example flow of invoking a plugin specific rest api via savanna (
https://wiki.openstack.org/w/images/a/a6/Savanna_invoke_provider_rest_api_flow.pdf
).

The implementation of Savanna logic supporting exec_resource_action() call
will require significant amount of work. It will include HTTP proxy
functionality, error handling, etc. On the other side, as you said, client
can just directly access the provider by URL received from
get_management_URLs().

>> We feel that get_logger()  is critical functionality to make available
throughout development, QA as well as during deployments. The
implementation should be trivial and would help normalize logging across
providers vs. asking providers to log on their own.

We will definitely provide plugin with some logging facility. When I said
that it is not very important, I meant that it is not very important which
way we will provide logging. It might be either via get_logger() method, or
plugin will have to import some module and use it.

>> Today Ambari does not allow for providing arguments in a non-interactive
way and without this functionality it would be a hardship for us to work
around this issue. We already have code around this area that we would be
glad to provide as a reference implementation. Changing Ambari to fit into
this model is not something that can be done in short order as it would
require changing Ambari, which in our opinion should not be necessary to
fit into Savanna.

The requirement to have interactive execute does not seem to be common
among other providers. On the other side we want to keep our API as small
as possible. We'd rather prefer that you implement that function inside
your plugin. And if it becomes needed in some other plugin, we will move it
to the Savanna API then.

>> Although Ambari takes care of changing 99% of the necessary
configuration, there are still cases where we (the plugin provider) need to
make a few changes that are OpenStack environment specific. For large scale
clusters (think 1,000's of nodes), copying a large number of files back and
forth provides quite a bit of overhead vs. allowing for a remote file
handle. We have an initial implementation of this that we can provide.

Our vision is that the general use case for copy_file (open_file) will be
to copy (or edit) only small files. I.e. we think that this operation will
be mainly used to generate config files on VMs. I am not sure if remote
handle will be faster than copying files in that case. At first sight, both
operations will require similar amount of traffic and connections to do the
same job.

Do you have a different use case in mind? Also if you provide an
implementation for open_file(), we can compare its speed with copy_file().

Thanks,

Dmitry