savanna-all team mailing list archive

Questions concerning config object

The current Savanna documentation proposes a Config object with the following attributes:

	name
	description
	type
	default_value
	is_optional
	applicable_node_processes

  Node processes seem to correlate to Hadoop components.

 I see a number of problems with this proposal:

 1)  The proposal makes an assumption that properties are grouped by node processes/components.  Although some properties are clearly dedicated to certain processes, it appears that for the most part properties are associated with, and grouped by, specific site configuration files.  As a matter of fact, there is some effort in Ambari around decoupling services and configuration.
 2)  There are some general properties that aren't necessarily dedicated to a specific process but are rather more general in nature.  In those cases it seems that an indicator specifying which configuration file the property resides in is more appropriate.

 It just seems like the categorization by node process (or component) is somewhat artificial in the Hadoop environment.  Rather, it seems like it's be more natural to have the following structure:

	name
	description
	type
	default_value
	is_optional
	destination_file

  I welcome your thoughts on the matter.  Thanks!

-- Jon

Follow ups