Re: [Schooltoolers] Upcoming Change to Groups in Sections

Hi David,

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 4:51 PM, David Ally <david_ally@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I want to be able to interface SchoolTool with a communication framework
> (RapidSMS) developed using python, django etc and realised that Plone was
> the framework used for SchoolTool, I reasoned this should work without much
> programming in python, but I don't have a clue as to how to start right
> and I don't want to dissipate too much effort doing the wrong thing.

SchoolTool uses the Zope 3 framework, which is also used somewhat in
Plone.  But we don't use Plone.

> The main design objective for the interfacing is that i want students weekly
> (or daily, monthly etc) performance to be sent via sms to parents by the
> system based on subscription by the parents for such information.

Simply sending a "Hello world" SMS from SchoolTool should be pretty
easy -- Zope 3 is specifically designed to allow you to integrate
external Python packages without having to make changes to them.

There will be a fair number of moving parts in a system to do what you
want, though, touching lots of parts of SchoolTool, so we'll
definitely need to have some detailed discussions about how to design
and implement it.

--Tom