Re: translation group...

Tom Hoffman wrote:
> Upon closer inspection, the Launchpad translation policy is a bit more
> complicated than I realized (big surprise).
>
> Apparently in real life, it often makes more sense to organized
> translators by language rather than by project.  Upon reflection, this
> makes sense.  So what they actually recommend doing by default is
> setting "Launchpad Translators" as the translation group, which, if I
> understand correctly, includes teams for the constituent languages.  I
> did create a team for "SchoolTool Translators," but it appears that
> you probably have to contact the LP devs to create a "translation
> group," which is different than a regular team.
>
> So... I wouldn't mind Gedminas and other interested parties taking a
> look at this:
>
> https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/LaunchpadTranslators#Steps%20to%20Follow%20for%20Appointing%20a%20Team
>
> I guess if there are no objections, we'll just switch to the
> recommended default of "structured" permissions using the Launchpad
> Translators group.

  Just some thoughts.

  Browsing through the list of Launchpad Translators (
https://translations.launchpad.net/+groups/launchpad-translators/ ) I
got the impression that the group:
  - is fairly small
  - has few language teams
  - is fairly young (blueprint started on 2008-11-24), see
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/rosetta/+spec/launchpad-translators-group
  - is not widely used yet, mainly used by fresh or small projects
  - there is some drive to merge existing large teams with LP Translators

  The way I see it, the reason we want to move from Open to Structured
policy because translations into some of the languages have matured -
and we don't want inexperienced translators to change them without
review.  If that's the case, a good solution would be having Open policy
for fresh/incomplete languages, Structured for mature ones.  I don't
know if LP supports this scenario.  (Anyway, If my memory serves me
well, LP was asking us for suggestions some time ago how to improve the
translation interface...)

  One more thing for consideration is that LP Translators group is
oriented towards consistent translation of common software and the
domain ST covers may (???) have specific terminology in each country, maybe.

  I'm strongly leaning towards filing the request to create SchoolTool
Translators Group.  Then, if possible, specify different policies for
different teams.  Then, if possible, add LP Translator teams as sub-teams.

  Maybe I'm getting it all wrong...

Cheers,
Justas