Re: Good SchoolTool/CanDo News

Tom and the SchoolTool Team (Mark, Jeff, Alan, Douglas, Ignas, et al)  --

Yes indeed, you have captured the broad strokes of the excellent
SchoolTool/CanDo news coming out of the Commonwealth of Virginia.  The NOVA
project aims to couple SchoolTool/CanDo with Student Portfolios using
TaskStream (www.taskstream.com) in the area of Automotive Technology to
demonstrate the power of standards-based evaluation and reporting.  They
have a significant grant and their goal is lofty:  To build a demonstration
project that can be replicated in many other places.  It is a very
significant project.

The number of School Districts (each containing multiple schools) reporting
interest in implementing SchoolTool/CanDo NEXT YEAR in the Virginia
Commonwealth now totals 38 -- an almost overwhelming response that shows
that SchoolTool/CanDo is hitting critical mass, and that the feedback from
our second year of piloting across Virginia must be quite positive.

And yes, SchoolTool was nominated by my district -- the Arlington Public
Schools -- as our top business-industry partnership from this past year, and
subsequently was recognized among all projects submitted as the top
business-industry partnership in the Commonwealth, earning you a "2010
Creating Excellence in Career & Technical Education Award" (banquet in June
with VA Governor attending/presenting).

My sincere congratulations to Tom Hoffman, Mark Shuttleworth, Jeff Elkner
and the entire team.  These evolutions and recognitions of our work are the
result of multiple years of effort, creativity, collaboration, passion and
innovation... in other words, we're really in a pickle now!!!

--David Welsh