SchoolTool on ARM first impressions

Gentlemen,

I got a sandbox up on my TonidoPlug with no problems whatsoever.  It
even handled the sample data import, going up to about 70% consumption
of the 512MB of memory (no swap), taking forever, but managing it.

This is using a cheap, literally falling-apart 4G USB key for the
sandbox's file system.

Starting up with an empty database takes about a minute and a half.
Basic serving of web pages is fine, running my selenium scripts on an
empty database is fine.

With a full database of 1000 students and two school years, it takes
more like five minutes to start.  Loading the person index the first
time takes about 10 seconds, and paging through persons after that
takes maybe two seconds.  Random clicking around is fine.  Clicking on
"edit individuals" on the section index page takes about a minute and
a half.  I'm loading the sample data on my desktop to see how long it
takes there.  My uninformed guess would be that it is doing
relationship lookups for every student and that's the slowdown.

I hope what this tells us that we'll have to do more careful
optimization before really shipping a $99 SchoolTool appliance because
the system is generally less tolerant of inefficient algorithms -- but
that it can be done.

Overall, performance doesn't have to be *FAST* on this, but it just
can't be minute and a half slow.

--Tom

Follow ups