Fwd: Promoting students to next year...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Javier Sola <javier@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 12:12 AM
Subject: Promoting students to next year...
To: Piseth Auk <pisethdv@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Douglas Cerna <douglascerna@xxxxxxxxx>, Tom Hoffman <
tom.hoffman@xxxxxxxxx>, KHENG Piseth <piseth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Tom, Douglas,

For schoolTool in Cambodia, I would like to see if we can set the major
goals.

Student management will clearly be the biggest challenge, all other parts
are just entering, storing and exporting simple data about teachers and
school.

I am sure you have thought about all these things many times before, but
here are my thoughts below, to give you our perspective.

Cheers,

Javier

------------

The main processes that we will face are:

STUDENTS

- Entry of new student data.
 - New students enter the school on a given school year and a given level.
Somebody feels a form, assigning the student a level... and maybe a class.
 - Students that were not assigned a group at data entry time are assigned
one later. The process of assigning a class to a student is an easy one,
with the operator having all the information visible. The operator only sees
students who do not yet have a class assigned.
 - It is also possible to change a student from one class to another, but
this is a different process, because in this case the operator sees all the
students, not only those who have no class assigned. In this process it is
possible to change also other data about the student.
 - Student data will have to include some information required by the
Ministry such as if the student is handicapped... We need to look at the
EMIS (Education Management Information System) data sheets and see what we
need.

- Entering of grading information
 - Printing of class lists (rosters?) for the teachers to write the grades
in. Lists might have or not have the grades that the student already has.
 - Data entering for grades class by class (not student by student). A log
is kept of who entered which student data.
 - Editing of student grades. Permission levels must be studied for users,
and a log of who makes changes must be kept.

 - Exporting of data for examination board in a given format (for grades 9
and 12).

- Promotion of students to next level.
 - Here it is important to make it very easy to understand if a student has
already promoted or not. Group 7A for 2009-2010 is different from group 7A
for 2010-2011, we have to find an easy way to promote easily from one year
to the next. We need to understand how they do it in the schools (do they
keep the groups together?, do students have to come and register again?).

TEACHERS AND NON_TEACHING STAFF

- Entry and editing of teacher and staff data.
- Exporting all teacher and staff data in a standard format.

SCHOOLS

- Entry and editing of school data (information that is required by the
Ministry).
- Export data for the Education Management Information System of the
Ministry. This data in some cases require mixing data from the present year
and data from the previous year (to calculate information such as drop-out
rates). This will have some problems for the first year that the system is
used, as no such data exists, and we might need a screen to enter it by
hand.
- Printing of reports for district and province offices.