Fwd: First question--LDAP

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: SCOTT OWEN <SOWEN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: First question--LDAP
To: Tom Hoffman <tom.hoffman@xxxxxxxxx>

Just for the fun of it.....
Where would a person acquire that schooltool.ldap package??

I *may* try and give it a go......

It's looking more and more like schooltool will do almost exactly what
we were looking for.

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 12:20 PM, SCOTT OWEN <SOWEN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the offer.... I'll let you know... I don't want to get to far
> ahead here....leme' see what my end-users think before I start down that
> road.
> I'm not familiar with CAS at all, LDAP is my much preferred method....
>
> You mention "other packages" might a plain old debian "lenny" package be in
> there somewhere??
> (I tried Lenny before Ubuntu, and had schootool running no problem, but had
> issues finding the mstt font package....)

Regarding using Debian, we have not particular reason to think it
won't work, but if it doesn't, or if it stops working, we won't
necessarily know how to fix it (or, to put it more pointedly, we won't
spend time trying).

Actually, everything is "really" packaged as Python eggs.  See, for
example: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-cppeak3.html#N10232

We then generate debs from these more or less automatically.

When you do a "source" installation of SchoolTool, essentially it just
uses egg packages to create a sandbox environment for you.

But anyhow, it looks like we did make schooltool.ldap packages, so
this explanation is probably unnecessary.

--Tom

Follow ups