smsd

So for my SMS demo, the leading candidate now is gnokii-smsd (that's
the Ubuntu package name, too), since gnokii seems to play nice with my
phone over USB, using the "file module:"

"This module doesn't need an SQL server to work. For incoming messages
it works in a way that it calls a program giving phone number, date as
parameter and the message text on stdin. In the
gnokii-gnokii-smsd.directory there is an example file action. It shows
sms data to stdout. If you want something useful you must write your
own action. For outgoing messages you can set spool directory where
gnokii-gnokii-smsd.looks regularly."

The whole man page is here: http://linux.die.net/man/8/gnokii-smsd

Anyhow, that's my current line of approach.

--Tom

Follow ups