Journal Average in Gradebook

Hey Guys,

I created a new gradebook branch,
lp:~aelkner/schooltool.gradebook/journal_data, for the first of two
tasks that involve integrating journal data into the gradebook
spreadsheet.  For the first task, I created an external activity for
presenting the journal average as a spreadsheet column.  Note that I
made this change in the gradebook and not the journal.  This is
because the external activity classes have to implement interfaces
that are defined in schooltool.gradebook.  Since cando already depends
on schooltool.gradebook, it can include the interfaces with no
problem.  No such dependency exists in schooltool.lyceum.journal.

There are two issues with updating the grades of the external
activity.  First, can someone remind me why the user needs to click
'Manage Worksheet', then click the link for the external activity,
then click 'Update Grades'?  I know the gradebook spreadsheet renders
its content from getting evaluations stored by the activity, in this
case, the linked activity, not the external one.  However, to save the
user this painful navigation process each time they change something
in cando or the journal, couldn't we just have the gradebook rendering
engine go ahead and do the updating of all external activity
evaluations?  Would this slow it down too much?  I can't say for sure
myself.

Secondly I noticed an annoying calculation of the cell.  For instance,
when I give the student three grades in the journal, 9, 10, and 10,
the journal presents the average as 9.6667.  The gradebook,
unfortunately, presents it as 9.70 when I choose 10 for the points
value.  That's because the logic of converting the float to Decimal
happens too soon in LinkedActivityGradesUpdater from
schooltool/gradebook/browser/gradebook.py.  Shouldn't the '%.2f' be
applied to the final float rather than before multiplying with points?
 If it were, then I could get it to present the average as 9.67.

Justas,

Could you please review the branch for the upcoming meeting?

Thanks,
Alan

Follow ups