Re: Fwd: Schooltool + LDAP setup

Hi Marius,

On 10/19/2011 05:53 PM, Justas wrote:
Hi,

On 10/19/2011 05:38 PM, Tom Hoffman wrote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: muchio<marius.gricius@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 6:57 AM
Subject: Schooltool + LDAP setup
To: Tom Hoffman<tom.hoffman@xxxxxxxxx>

Hello,

My  institution (Military Academy of Lithuania) is currently looking for
Student Information System. SchoolTool has been considered as one of
preferable choices because it is open source, part of development team
is from Lithuania and it has integration with CAS.
Would you be so kind and provide more information about ST+LDAP
requirements, setup process, etc?

  Sure, I'll look into that Thu morning, Lithuania time.

LDAP support
------------------

We do not have out-of-the-box LDAP support at the moment, but we are considering to add at least simple support in next Ubuntu LTS (12.04)

There is an old plug-in that adds LDAP auth support and as far as I can tell it should work, but it never made to "installable from software center" status.

If there is a need, we could make installable LDAP available earlier. Set-up would then be manually editing configuration files and adding something like this:

<ldap_authentication>
  host sociality.stanford.edu
  port 389
  searchScope sub
  searchBase dc=sociality,dc=org
  groupsSearchBase ou=groups
  groupsSearchScope sub
  loginAttribute uid
  idAttribute uid
  titleAttribute cn
  groupsAttribute apple-group
  groupIdAttribute apple-group-realname
</ldap_authentication>

CAS support
-----------------

On the other hand, if you run a CAS server (http://www.jasig.org/cas <http://www.jasig.org/cas>), you can use schooltool.cas plug-in.

Since it's not in Ubuntu "universe", you'll need to add schooltool PPA (personal package archives): http://book.schooltool.org/install-pre-natty.html schooltool.cas is available for Ubuntu Lucid/Maverick/Natty, please add the corresponding PPA; then install python-schooltool.cas package.

  After installing, you (as admin) will need to manually edit few files.

  Create cas.zcml in schooltool plugins directory, for example:

  $ sudo gedit /etc/schooltool/schooltool-2009/plugins/cas.zcml

  Fill it with this line:
<include package="schooltool.cas" />

  Then edit main.conf:
  $ sudo gedit /etc/schooltool/schooltool-2009/main.conf

  And add following lines at the end:

%import schooltool.cas
<cas_authority>
  server http://your/cas/server/