Re: Translation ScoolTool

2012/3/30 Łukasz Szeremeta <l.szeremeta@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> I spent a lot of time and work to translate your application (I
> translated a lot of phrases.). I used the export function, and then
> imported the new file with my translations added. Unfortunately, no
> translations have been assigned to me. Now I know that I should probably
> change manually:
>
> "Last-Translator: Zbigniew Pyttel <zbyszek.pyttel@xxxxxxxxx>\n" on line
> 12 on:
> "Last-Translator: Łukasz Szeremeta <l.szeremeta@xxxxxxxxx>\n"
>
> Now all uploaded by me phrases (there were a lot) have been assigned to
> another person (Zbigniew Pyttel).

Hello,

It is sad that your work did not credited. You understood correctly
why that happened. You had to change Last-Translator before uploading
your work. Some tools (e.g. poedit and gtranslator) update it
automatically, text editor doesn't... This field is the most important
in determining who is the author of new strings. Uploader could be me,
so who has done that is not very important. Always include your email
address, and uncheck "Hide my email addresses from other Launchpad
users" at https://launchpad.net/~/+edit, because email is the only
unique thing that can be matched between PO files and Launchpad users.
Otherwise exported .po files will have "Łukasz Szeremeta <Unknown>" as
translator, and will probably be changed to me on next import.

However, I have to disappoint you. Your question would have been
better addressed by Launchpad people, because that's where the
database is. I can't change it. And once you have imported the
translations, they are there. Deleting and reuploading would not
change anything (or not what you want). You can ask the admins to
delete your strings and try again. Similar questions have been:

https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/191340
https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/62005

Maybe more. Have a look at FAQ: https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+faqs

> I know that maybe the translation is not perfect. So I want to be
> responsible for my own translation. I want to take responsibility for my
> translation - I but not the other person.
>
> I send translations:
>
> 1) translation before my changes:
> http://ubuntuone.com/7fLHO88L9o94mrIpPxlFPk
> 2) translation after my changes, but without modified line (described
> above): http://ubuntuone.com/2T2gfpiPwYQj18MDK3TQOS
> 3) translation after my changes and with modified line:
> http://ubuntuone.com/4tsUaQaLArupbYFVcHpGBm
>
> I sent the earlier translation (2012-03-29 22:17:31 UTC) in the hope of
> restoring its to re-import my translation immediately after.

It is very helpful that you have all the needed information. However
it is not in my power to fulfill your request, sorry.

> Thank you for your understanding. Thank you in advance for your
> response.

I have an opposite problem – I get credited for many languages that I
can't even decipher. That's because I merge and commit the
translations upstream. As you can see in Polish translation
information

https://translations.launchpad.net/schooltool/flourish/+pots/schooltool/pl/+filter?person=menesis

However, in this case it is correct -- even though I don't know
Polish, I still can spot errors and fix them (wrong use of
${variables} or copy-pasted \r\n). Here, I copied a few strings from
other modules and made some strings uppercase, after changed msgid.

As a translator, I understand your frustration. But don't worry -- the
most important thing is that the application is now translated :)
Submit a question to Launchpad project, though.

Respect,

Gediminas Paulauskas
SchoolTool Release Manager