Lesson Planning

I rudely chopped off a couple of features before the release of
SchoolTool 1.0 because they were integrated into individual components
in a way that didn't make sense for SchoolTool as a whole, and it was
better to make the switch while I knew the number of people using
those particular features was very small (sorry about that, Laurie!).

Actually one of these things is going to re-appear in tomorrow's
release in a slightly modified form -- in the gradebook "view final
grades" will become "summary," which will show you the average scores
across worksheets in your gradebook.  You won't use it to actually
"enter final grades" anymore, as there is a different system for doing
that now, albeit one that badly needs some documentation.

The second axed feature was a couple of text boxes included in the
attendance journal that allowed the teacher to enter public and
private lesson plans or notes.  There is nothing wrong with having
lesson planning features like this, but connecting it to attendance
was arbitrary, and it should be implemented to work across the
gradebook, calendar and journal.

So... if you have ideas about how simple lesson planning functionality
should work in SchoolTool, now would be a good time to express them,
or perhaps to give the idea some thought for the first time.

One question is, should we create a specific "Planbook" link at the
top with its own interface for entering and editing plans, or
integrate it primarily into the calendar, gradebook and/or attendance
journal?  I'd think you should be able to view the plans from any of
the three.

--Tom

Follow ups