Upcoming Change to Groups in Sections

Early in SchoolTool development we (me, primarily) decided to allow
groups to be added to sections, with the membership of the section
changing dynamically with the membership of the group.

This is handy in systems where the same group of students attends all
or many classes together.  You can just define the groups and add them
en masse to sections.  When you add a new student to the group,
they're automatically enrolled in all the groups sections.

Unfortunately, the opposite is also true -- when they're removed from
the group they are automatically removed from the section, which may
not be intended or expected, and could result in data loss.  Also, the
implementation has always been a little buggy.

We decided a while ago to remove this functionality, but it got lost
in the shuffle.  We've now made the change and intend to deploy it in
a bugfix release on Tuesday.  At this time SchoolTool will go through
your sections and copy the current memberships of any groups contained
by a section, add each member individually to that section and remove
the group from the section.

In the future, to add the members of a group to a section, you will
simply go to the Add/Remove form for the section, search by group,
select all the students returned by the search, and add them in one
step.  Students subsequently added to the group will have to be added
to sections manually.

--Tom