scratch team mailing list archive

Re: Scracth for amd64

On 22.04.2010, at 16:17, Amos Blanton wrote:
> Hi Raul,
>
> I've updated our Scratch on Linux page with instructions on how to install the 32 bit Scratch package on 64 bit systems. We hope to have a true 64 bit Scratch available as soon as the 64 bit Squeak virtual machine is available in the Ubuntu repositories.
>
> http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Linux_Installer
>
> Scratch On!
> Amos
> Scratch Team

I said it before, but I'll try again: Even *if* someone would package the 64 bit VM for Ubuntu now, it would be unwise to recommend it for Scratch use. Many of the default plugins are not 64-bit clean yet, probably the Scratch plugins neither. Unless someone signs up to work on this, it will stay stay so. And there is no advantage to Scratch users whatsoever by using the 64 bit VM. Ideally, it works as well as the 32 bit version. Practically, for now at least, it's inferior.

- Bert -