scratch team mailing list archive

Re: Debian install broken?

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for writing! More below...

On 09/28/2011 09:07 AM, jeremy.barbay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi.

1. On the webpage http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Scratch_1.4_Download,
    the link to
    https://launchpad.net/~scratch/+archive/ppa/+files/scratch_1.4.0.1-0ubuntu5_i386.deb
    seems broken: I get the following error when trying to download it:
    "/tmp/klCa5WNX.deb.part could not be saved, because the source file
    could not be read. Try again later, or contact the server
    administrator."

Hmm.. it seems to be working again now. Perhaps it was just a temporary problem at launchpad.

2. I also failed to install Scratch through the PPA: I do have the
    following entries in my sources.list, but it can't find any package
    which name would contain "scratch"
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/scratch/ppa/ubuntu maverick main deb-src
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/scratch/ppa/ubuntu maverick main

I am running Linux 2.6.35-30-generic #59-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 30
19:00:03 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux.

Ah - the issue is that there is no 64 bit package for Scratch, because Squeak vm and plugins do not yet support 64 bit systems. :(

However, a lot of people have had good luck forcing the installation of the 32 bit package. See this page for instructions:

http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Scratch_on_Linux

Scratch On!
Amos
Scratch Team