[Question #162881]: Groovy API

Hi

Has anyone implemented an alternative API to Python?  If not I was thinking of having a go at a Groovy API.

Also, what are the gotchas around using this kind of technology - here's the ones I can see based on the spike I have recently conducted (please correct me if I am wrong on any of these):

1.  Change in screen resolution could render problems in image matching?
2.  Change in windowing style appearance could render problems in image matching?
3.  Cannot use the system whilst the scripts are running
4.  Change in OS means you have to have separate copies of the same screen controls for the target OS
5.  If the windows aren't sized appropriately for some reason the script may not be able to recognise controls it needs to

I think a lot of these could be overcome using a VM or running the script remotely - you could ensure the script runs against a consistent platform/UI appearance regardless of what the host system has been configured to look like.

I am looking at Sikuli because I need a front end test automation tool and libraries like WebDriver are proving too cumbersome for some of the hair raising JavaScript on the third party test subjects I am dealing with.  Having a dynamically typed, refactorable language like Groovy/Python with lots of good tool support is another killer feature I am after.

I am having some really weird image location issues running Sikuli inside a VM.  Same code runs fine on the host system I coded in on Friday.  I have tried the Settings.BundlePath and the SIKULI_IMAGE_PATH env vars but I'm getting no joy.  I'd like to debug the code to figure this out and also understand how the Python API sits on top of the Java layer.

Is the lp:sikuli branch the best place for me to grab the latest rc-2 code?

Sorry for the multiple questions!!

Thanks

Ben