[Question #177536]: How to define constants in junit test script?

I can use constants just fine in a regular script, but once I converted my script to a junit test Sikuli keeps telling me it can't find
constants:

NameError:  global name 'MY_CONST' is not defined

I'm suspecting it has something to do with the junit; this "self" param business is new to me, and it's pretty weird to have to prefix all my function calls with "self.".  I tried doing that for the constants, for example:

self.MY_CONST

but that didn't work either.  I've looked all over, and tried all kinds of things.  I'm good with either defining the constant in the current script, or defining it in a separate script, I don't really care about the mechanism as long as I can do it somehow.

It should be possible to define constants!

Also, if someone could point me to a description of what the "self" parameter is about, that would be nice too.  I've written junit's in Java and never seen this.

Thanks,

Brian