Re: [Question #185791]: How to run "Sikuli On Virtual Machines"

daluu posted a new comment:
what exact issues are you having with VNC server & viewer/client setup?
Perhaps you can work something out with IT to use a specific port for
VNC. It defaults at 5900 for the server.

Or maybe tunnel through an accepted port like 80, etc. though I've never
tried VNC tunneling, say over SSH or something else.

Also, if issue is with security, here are a few things to consider:

* can set VNC password to prevent unauthorized access. Free versions are
not encrypted within the VNC protocol, I think. If need higher security,
then buy the commercial versions. But even without encryption, the
password will block off simple attempts at VNC hacking corporate
machines. If the hacker managed to try sniffing your network for
unecrypted passwords, then your network is already compromised, even if
they didn't find any passwords.

* VNC is still decently secure as long as you run the machines within
corporate network, not accessible externally. Therefore, to access them
outside like working from home, you still need to VPN in.

* you could also secure down the test machines so even if hacked, limit
the damage, like machines have restricted or no network fileshare access
(besides HTTP web browsing).

And if VNC setup issue is with Windows Vista or newer OS, you may need
to use specific software like UltraVNC or TightVNC. RealVNC freeware
version doesn't seem to work with Windows 7, etc.

And why are you using TeamViewer? Is Microsoft RDP not working well
enough for you? RDP will work fine as long as you keep the RDP window
open and not close it. Though I still prefer VNC because you can close
it and automation still runs.

I would say VNC should be your solution, you just need to get IT to
agree to it somehow. Or live with the limitations of TeamViewer and RDP
(keep session open, time limit, etc.)