[Question #187001]: Best approach for developing a unit testing GUI

My application involves some manual hardware interactions that trigger events in the software system for the purpose of system functional testing. I currently use Python unittest. My current scripts use "popup" and "input" dialogs as informal breakpoints as well as to give the operator instructions for the manual hardware interactions (ie "Manually do XYZ, then click OK").

I've been considering developing a small GUI that would sit in a corner of the screen with a "pause" function, a "play/continue" function, and a text window that I can use to display instructions and possibly some status messages. A progress bar would be great also, but not required.

Is there a recommended way to implement something like this? I'm using HTMLTestRunner to capture/format my unittest results and test-related logging, so everything fed into this GUI would be considered throw-away data.