[Question #197031]: IDE won't launch on 32-bit Windows XP

I've read about all the problems with the IDE not launching in 64-bit windows, but I'm having that symptom in 32-bit "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3".  Double-click the desktop icon, no IDE.

I have things working on a different computer with the same 32-bit XP.

I installed the latest JRE7 and it seems available at the command line:

C:\Program Files\Sikuli X>java -version
java version "1.7.0_04"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 23.0-b21, mixed mode, sharing)

One difference, in task manager on the good computer I see "java" and "javaw" images running.  And when the IDE comes up I see an additional "javaw" task.  But on the bad computer I see no "java" nor "javaw" tasks running.