[Question #231028]: Overview of OSX applications

Perhaps I'm missing something really obvious, but when I get to the downloads page there are 3 OSX applications with no high level explanation of what each is and what the relationships may be between them.  If I want to run the IDE, do I need the API? If not, what would I use the API for? Why is there a 'lightweight' IDE? How is it different from the IDE? If I want all three is the a sequence of installation or are one or more of them mutually exclusive?

I don't need pages of data, just need to understand what these things are at a high level and what I'm supposed to do with them. Its really a definitional question.

Again, this may be somewhere and if so, I apologize for the stupid question, but if not, then how is it possible for this data not to be obviously available? That's probably the first thing I'm going to need to know as a newcomer once I decided I'd like to use Sikuli.