[Question #251120]: runIDE dies when trying to open a file

In general, my sikuli works great, but there is one script in particular that will kill runIDE if I try to open it.  I don't know what it is about this script that is causing it to fail, but I know the script works because I use it as an import into another script.  It's just not a script that I would run alone (it's a bunch of utility functions).  How do I troubleshoot this because there's no errors anywhere?  I even tried to run runIDE.cmd from a windows shell so I would see the output, but it just silently quits.  I suspect that it's a coding/python interpreter thing, but not sure how to find out where it is.  I can open the .py file in IDLE just fine and edit it there.