Re: [Question #268186]: exception in java.awt.Desktop.browse method .. loading URL

d~l gave more information on the question:
I believe I've solved my problem for now.

Since I had experimented with SikuliX Slides some months ago (on same Ubuntu 14.04 platform)
without java exceptions I guessed that some recent software update might be the cause.

I ran the command ...  sudo update-alternatives --config java

and I had these options ..

There are 3 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).

  Selection    Path                                           Priority   Status
* 0            /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/bin/java         1082      auto mode
  1            /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-i386/jre/bin/java   1071      manual mode
  2            /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/bin/java         1081      manual mode
  3            /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/bin/java         1082      manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:

I switched back from java 8 to an earlier release  .. java 7 ..

java -version
java version "1.7.0_79"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.5) (7u79-2.5.5-0ubuntu0.14.04.2)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 24.79-b02, mixed mode)

and ran the helloworld.pptx test again without an exception report.

So it seems that there is some issue with java 8.

I'm not marking this as solved since I don't know why java 8 causes this exception.
I'll press on with further tests.