sloecode-dev team mailing list archive

Re: new contributions

Hi Adrien,

On 11 March 2011 23:23, Adrien Saladin <adrien@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Now I know about Sloecode, I'm more enclined to stop my project and
> try to give some help on sloecode when I have some free time.

Wonderful!

> Is there a working public demo out somewhere or should I install it to
> see how it's like ?

I'm afraid there's not a public working demo - I have it installed and
running, so I can confirm that it works without falling over, but It's
at my work, so I can't give you an account :(

In terms of deployment, there's still a bit of work to do. There are
no automated packages, and deployment requires several manual steps.
Off the top of my head, the steps required for deployment are:

 * Get sources & install pre-requisite libraries and tools (pylons, DB
server, jinja2 etc.)
 * Create ssh key for server. & put in correct path (currently
/var/sloecode/keys)
 * copy 'development.ini' to 'release.ini' and edit settings for your host.
 * create /etc/init.d scripts to start pylons web-app and smart
ssh-server ( I have some really bad scripts that I hacked together -
I'm happy to pass them along).
 * change default admin password ;)

There's also a client-side bzr plugin
(http://launchpad.net/bzr-sloecode) that works very well, and provides
'sc:projectname' shortcuts similar to launchpad, and an 'sc-login'
command. I have created a rudimentary windows installer for this, but
there's no debian package as yet.

> Do you have a roadmap or a TODO list ?

Well, The four main developers so far all live in the same city, so we
tend to get together every now and again and discuss what needs to
happen next. The simple answer is "yes, but it's in our heads" - not
very useful for you I realise. There are a few bugs listed on
launchpad, and a few blueprints (some may be out of date). One
urgently required thing is packaging the product so we can host a PPA.
The web-app has several nasty bits where we were more interested in
getting things done than picking an elegant solution. I'm sure as you
start to use the system you'll find these pretty quickly.

We welcome your feedback though - so if you spot anything, please let us know.

Cheers,