software-store-developers team mailing list archive

Re: USC 5.0 redesign

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 10:20:53AM +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> Andrew wrote on 10/06/11 17:13:
> >
> > On 10/06/11 16:00, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> >> We now have three (well, nearly three) mockups of possible layouts,
> >> and we will test these with users on Monday and Tuesday. Then we'll
> >> pick one, refine it, and publish it, before testing it some more the
> >> week afterwards.
> >
> > Are we allowed to see? ;)
>
> Sure. The only reason I didn't publish them on Friday was that they
> weren't quite complete yet.
>
> Here they are: <http://imgur.com/a/AoTo4>

I'm a bit late to reply because I was away for a extended weekend and
only returned today.

Thanks for sharing this with us! All of them look really good.

Some observations:

They all use bigger icons than what we currently use so we need to
change the icon extraction for the main archive for that. We also need
to check if that leads to more blury icons (regressions because the
apps do not have svg or 64px versions).

All screenshots show a pretty big "banner" (the top part of all the
screens). This means that we need to take different screen resolutions
into account, ie in version 1 (the topmost). What to do with the
whitespace if the window size is bigger than the "clockworld man"
image. Same goes for the other ones of course.

On version #1 it looks like the banner is releated to a app but its
not a screenshot more of a advertisement. The screenshots server (that
we actually don't control ourselfs) will need to have a concept for a
"advertise-this-app" page if we want to show similar ones for the main
archive. The software-center-agent will need to grow this concept as
well.

All the banner image have embedded text. We need to consider how to do
localization for them. Same for the temporary categories (like the
"Back to school" one).

All of the designs will need scrolling on most systems (height of more
than 768px pixels). With our hidden scrollbars that may not be
obvious. If e.g. screen #2 is visible so that "recommend for you",
"New" and "Menu" are visible. But "Most popular" and "Top Rated" are
hidden. We have this with the current version as well of course (I
have seen it opening in such a way).

The temporary categories will need server side ui for
creating/updating/removing along with images and filter rules so that
editors can go in and update them.

Cheers,
 Michael