software-store-developers team mailing list archive

managing 3 toolkits going forward

Hey hey,

So it's looking like we will have three GUIs in different toolkits being
actively worked on.  Gtk2, Gtk3 & Qt/QML.  How are we going to manage code
such that changes and improvements filter through the different
GUI's/toolkits?

I have no real idea at this point... except for the obvious that logic needs
to be in distinct classes from GUI or toolkit specific stuff.  Easier said
than done.  But maybe we have something like the following:

softwarecenter/ ... (basic stuff)
softwarecenter/logic... (logic python being those that rely on few
dependencies)
softwarecenter/ui/gtk/...
softwarecenter/ui/gtk3/
softwarecenter/ui/qml/...

Currently in my gtk3 branch i have had to touch things like utils.py etc,
which ideally should be toolkit agnostic but in reality rely on glib, gtk,
gio etc.  Gobject introspection is a spanner in the works in the sense that
it makes it difficult to provide a common base even for the Gtk versions of
USC.

Anyways away for the weekend so look forward to the great ideas upon my
return!

Matt

--
>From the mind of me!