software-store-developers team mailing list archive

Translating reviews idea

Hi guys,

An interesting idea on bug # 780504 to use a google translate api python
library to translate reviews into a user's local language.

http://www.catonmat.com/blog/python-library-for-google-translate

The library looks like it would be quite easy to utilise for this and may be
a more elegant solution than the one we discussed at UDS. Or perhaps the two
could go hand in hand. (e.g. "Show reviews in other languages, and translate
for me")

Some considerations would be
- the licence (it's MIT) and whether we can use that in this project
- the speed - would possibly be two hits on the api per review (summary and
review body) which could add up as we load 10 at a time (we may be able to
counter this with an opt-in to translate approach that pre-warns of the
potential speed hit and network activity), and
- relying on an external service provider's free service over which we have
no control

Any thoughts?
Aaron

Follow ups