software-store-developers team mailing list archive

gtk3 as default?!

Hi,

I grew really fond of the gtk3 UI (thanks again to Matthew McGowan for
spending so much work on it!). Its part of the oneiric software-center
package since ~10 days now or so and we got some good feedback
already.

I would like to raise a feature freeze exception and get it in for
beta1 as the default UI instead of the current gtk2 UI. What are your
feelings about it? (then the gtk2 ui would be moved into a branch and
retired from trunk).

I know we have quite a few bugs left, but it seems like nothing that
is really bad, mostly polish and inconsistencies. The only thing we
can't do at this point is add more feature to it, just fixes.  There
is a certain risk here because its a lot of new code plus a new gtk3
plus new bindings (that are really new). The alternative would be to
port something like the banners over to the old UI and wait another
release (or try getting it in out-of-band which has proven to be
difficult in the past).

How does the rest of the team think about this?

Cheers,
 Michael

Follow ups