software-store-developers team mailing list archive

Re: uds - usc discussions

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 09:24:16AM +1300, Matthew McGowan wrote:
> what topics do we need to cover at uds?
>
> i guess nothing radical will change in P being lts.  perhaps we could
> consider features with a view to brewing bigger changes ready for Q.

Yeah, I imagine that it will not be that much as P will be pretty
conservative.

> off the top of my head:

> python3, code style, tests, docstrings,

Test and codereview is a big one for me.

> the store db tweaks & improvements,

I look forward to this one, I know that kiwinote has some interessting
stuff brewing.

> more oneconf,
> recommendations, "people you know installed this",

Yes!

> bringing some of the synaptic actions to usc, reinstall, update, pin a
> version ... which would we want?

Multiple version to use backports more efficiently would be really
great.

> video clips,

This should actually be straighforward on the client side, I imagine
the server side infrastrcture is a bit more work. I would love to hear
from the server guys about their plans.

> be good to see any visual design changes/tweaks early ;)

+100 ;)

In addition to this, here are some of my ideas:
- startup time
- system capabilities (e.g. to know if a app needs full opengl or not)
- plugin architecture
- improve cdrom support
- auto i18n testing
- automatically running the testsuite using something like jenkins

> i dont know how any of these topics would work as sessions keen to hear what
> people think would be useful discussions.

I think it would be great to have (at least) one session about the
planning for the next cycle so that we are all on the same page.

Btw, I uploaded the first precise versoin of s-c into the archive now,
we can go wild (a little bit) again and change UI and strings and add
features.

Cheers,
 Michael