software-store-developers team mailing list archive

Re: Acceptance Criteria and Software Center

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Michael Vogt <mvo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 08:08:19PM -0500, Gary Lasker wrote:
>> Hello Software Center devs!
> Hey Gary,
>
> [..]
>> And make no mistake, the idea here is to increase development velocity
>> by increasing code quality and knowledge sharing, etc. It is most
>> definitely *not* intended to slow things down with heavyweight
>> processes. In fact, the changes for our team will likely be fairly
>> minimal as we already have all of the important pieces in place in our
>> process today (code reviews, automatic unit tests, etc.).
>>
>> Further, we, as a team, have the freedom to implement the processes in
>> such a way as we see fit to make them work best for *our team*. The idea
>> is to *increase* the enjoyment and satisfaction we all get from our work
>> on Software Center. If at any point anyone feels like the opposite is
>> happening, let's talk about it right away and fix it.
> [..]
>
> Thanks for this great summary of the changes. I can only second what
> you wrote, I want this to be something that we enjoy doing and were we
> feel that folllowing these principals of peer review and good test
> coverage gives us better code as a result (and better code leads to
> more fun, right ,)

On that note, read jml's "How to feel better (or, some tips on refactoring)":

http://code.mumak.net/2011/11/how-to-feel-better-or-some-tips-on.html

which is not strictly about writing tests, but how to continuously
improve your code so you can enjoy programming more :)

--
Michael Nelson
Canonical Ltd.