software-store-developers team mailing list archive

Re: Self introduction

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 03:04:46PM +0100, Giovanni Campagna wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 05/12/2011 alle 18.27 +0100, Michael Vogt ha scritto:
> > On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 08:52:43PM +0100, Giovanni Campagna wrote:
> > > I would like to join this team because I'm interested in bringing the
> > > software center to Fedora, as it was done for Debian and OpenSuse.
> > > For this reason, I started patching upstream code, extending and
> > > completing the PackageKit backend, and I have something that I consider
> > > mostly working in a personal branch here at launchpad.
> > > My interest would be in sharing this work, and thus I'd like to merge
> > > most changes (including some that are not limited to the backends) to
> > > the trunk line of development.
[..]
> > Feel free to join us on irc as well, we hang out in irc.freenode.net
> > in the #software-center irc channel.
>
> I'm afraid I won't be available often, because of timezones, and school
> primarily. I'll try to be around if totally needed, though.

Its not required by any means :) Its just a nice and friendly place to
hang out, this is why I mentioned it.

> > > I know that contributing requires signing some documents, but being
> > > unemployed this is not a problem for me. Just point me to the appropiate
> > > place.
> >
> > Please check http://www.canonical.com/contributors for the required
> > paperwork and a link to the individual contributor PDF file, it then
> > links to the actual signing form here:
> > https://forms.canonical.com/contributor
>
> Done :)

Awsome, I saw the mail! I started reviewing the branch, it looks
great, lots of good work.

I would love to tweak it a bit before it goes into trunk, like I would
love to e.g. get rid of softwarecenter/enums.py:USE_PACKAGEKIT_BACKEND
and USE_APT_HISTORY there and move that into the distro classes or add
auto-detection for it.

The icon-names in historypane.py will need a bit of thought too to
make it compatible on both PK and aptdaemon systems.

Purchase should also be controlled as part of the distro class.

I love your use of "platform.linux_distribution()", I wasn't aware of
it before, a beautiful solution.

I hope to work some more on this before the weekend, I want this in
trunk soon and then we can make a release with it. I'm excited about
it.

Thanks!
 Michael