External monitor

I just found out that using an external VGA monitor is easier than expected. Just plug the monitor in, then restart X (otherwise you won't see anything). No need to change the xorg.conf. The resolution on the monitor is automatically set to the highest one that fits into 1600x900. I tested it with an Asus VW 222U and got 1440x900. This means that 160 pixel at the right are missing, but I can live with that.

Don't change the resolution with xrandr; this causes the notebook LCD to go black, and stay black, until X is restarted.

I'm still interested in a more complete and flexible solution, preferably one that doesn not rely on additional software provided by SuSE, Ubuntu or the like.

Regards,
Bernd

--
Bernd Eggink