Re: External monitor

Arnaldo Mandel schrieb:
Bernd Eggink wrote (on Feb 24, 2009):
> I just found out that using an external VGA monitor is easier than > expected. Just plug the monitor in, then restart X (otherwise you won't > see anything). No need to change the xorg.conf. The resolution on the > monitor is automatically set to the highest one that fits into 1600x900. > I tested it with an Asus VW 222U and got 1440x900. This means that 160 > pixel at the right are missing, but I can live with that. > > Don't change the resolution with xrandr; this causes the notebook LCD to > go black, and stay black, until X is restarted.

For me, the following incantation works:

xrandr --output LVDS --auto --output VGA --same-as LVDS --auto

both with an external monitor and a projector.  In the latter case,
where the projector's resolution is 1024x768, the note's screen is
shrunk to a 1024x768 rectangle, and the resulting margins are still
useful, even though they are not projected.  Unplugging the projector,
the same command restores the screen to the original 1600x900. A funny
side effect: the gnome top panel comes out completely scrambled.

Yes, that eliminates the necessity to restart X. But it sets my external VGA to a resolution of 1400x1050, which looks unacceptable. And for some reasons it completely erases the icewm toolbar at the bottom of the Vaio monitor.

However, it works acceptable with this modification:

xrandr --output LVDS --auto --output VGA --same-as LVDS --mode 1440x900

Thus I get a reasonable resolution on the VGA and my LCD is kept intact.

Rgards,
Bernd
--
Bernd Eggink