Satisfied Sony Vaio VGN-Z11VN/B user

Hi,

Just wanted to say thank you all for the support and also report that I can
finally make the switch from Windows Vista to Ubuntu 8.10 on my Sony Vaio
VGN-Z11VN/B since I got the power consumption down enough using the updated
laptop module. Disabling WLAN, bluetooth and dimming lights takes me down to
around 12W).

Works:
* Stamina mode (compiled the sony laptop module - power consumption went
down to around 15W immediately).
* Sound through headphones and speakers shut (modified alsa-base).
* Brightness applet (xrandr command)
* Suspend/hibernation (ootb)
* Web camera (ootb)
* WLAN/Bluetooth hw switch (ootb)
* External mic

Does not work:
* FN keys for brightness / external monitor
* Internal mic

Not tested:
* SSD/MMC slots
* Speed mode

A comment regarding brightness - this works ootb on Fedora 10 (not FN keys).
Is Fedora using xrandr by default or why else the difference?

Also regarding sound/mic, I tried several different options for alsa. No
combination resulted in external mic/headphones and speakers shut working
flawlessly at the same time. I finally had to go with options snd-hda-intel
model=vaio position_fix=0 which enables external mic and leaving me to mute
"front" manually whenl listening through headphones.

Good enough for now!

Thanks again and keep up the good work,
Kim