Re: Sony Vaio Z and Nvidia only mode.

Hi,

I'm often using Nvidia card only for graphic computations. To be able to use it, I'm turning acpi off (or mostly off). Either you change your dsdt table and specify your not linux but windows xp, or you add the option acpi=ht on the kernel so that the switch won't be uninitialized at reboot. Then you only need one boot on windows or even on linux DSL (thanks for the tip !).

I have installed the nvidia for netbook, as well as the nvidia general driver. Both seem to work, but I get some problems in all cases. Sometimes, the driver bugs and some part of the screen aren't well displayed. Then you have to kill X and restart or reboot.
Despite of these problems, it works and I can work with it.

However I would really appreciate to be able to work with acpi on since it is important for the battery as well as for all things related to acpi (lifetime, shutdown, hibernate, ...).

The fact is that if both card are on, then the nvidia driver doesn't work (for me). You need to get only one card running. If you have only the nvidia card working, then X won't complain. Otherwise, it won't work ! (for me)

Hoping there will be soon some way to make it working without turning acpi off and without need to startup on windows or DSL.

Note : I'm on fedora.

Have a nice week.
Alexandre Kaspar

"Zuzanna K. Filutowska" <platyna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

Hi.

I have already lost the hope that I will be able to switch between the graphic
cards at runtime. However anyone has any experience about using Nvidia only?

I can't use Nvidia unless I will boot Windows installer and wait for BSOD -
this is very annoying.

I have already tried newest kernel, various versions of nvidia driver and
custom DSDT tables but no luck.

Nvidia module loads fine but at X startup I have an error:

NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  180.29  Wed Feb  4 23:44:25 PST
2009
NVRM: failed to copy vbios to system memory.
NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x30:0xffffffff:891)
NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed

Any hints are welcome.

Regards.

--