Re: Various minor issues

On So, 10 Mai 2009, Kim Lindberg wrote:
> 1) Suspend to RAM and hibernation works fine, when triggered manually
> through menus, closing lid or pressing power button. But, setting the laptop
> to suspend after x minutes of idle time in gnome power settings has no
> effect. It never suspends/hibernates automatically, although, the
> screensaver kicks in fine.

Never tried that.

> 2) Dim and brightness behavior bugs me generally. I have set screen to dim
> after idle to save battery, which works fine. But the brightness does not
> reset to previous level when going back. I think what does is to set the
> brightness level according to gnome power settings. Also, when watching
> movies using XBMC, Youtube etc. screen dim and eventually goes into screen
> saver, which I obviously don't want.

Agreed, that is the reason I disabled dimming when idle and adjust the
brightness manually.

The other thing - screensaver/blanking when some movie or so is running
- is purely a application failure, nothing to do here on the kernel
level. One should complain to the app writers.

> 3) I have no exact steps to reproduce this, but after using the computer for
> some time (< 20 minutes) the WLAN led starts blinking, and does that

Cannot confirm that, but then, either I am turning of the WLAN to save
power, or I am connected via WLAN.

> 4) I haven't heard anything lately regarding the mic. Is there still noone
> who have got this working?

Not tried.

> 5) Does anyone have any general tips on reducing power consumption? I'm
> running laptopmode-tools, turning of bluetooth/wwan through rfkill switch
> and of course dimming screen brightness, which gets me down to about 14W
> while browsing web through WLAN. Same settings in Windows Vista uses only
> about 11W. I've had a look at the suggestions powertop gives me, but the
> results have been unsignificant.

Hm, I come down even below 10W sometimes, did you do noatime mounting,
kill useless process, do you have powersafe CPU freq governor activated,
in which state (C6 or so) is the processor most of the time?

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@xxxxxxxx>        Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <preining@xxxxxxxxxx>                         Debian TeX Group
WARLEGGAN (n. archaic)
One who does not approve of araglins (q.v.)
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff