Re: vaio z nvidia

Hi Guys

Here are some findings on my vaio after the info you all kindly supplied
me...

1. I have just installed Fedora 11 Preview. Eva's sony-laptop-vaioz0.9
installed without a hitch.
2. I have the nvidia driver, Bernd's link, up and running. Interestingly I
can't get the screen resolution to set to 1600x900. I tried with the
nvidia-settings multiple times/multiple reboots and no luck. It says it's
1600x900-60Hz, but the screen is definitely looks like 1366x768 everything
is larger than when running off the intel....very strange....
3. I tried, and am now stuck with, the acpi=ht. This mod works to stop the
machine resetting the stamina/speed LED, but I can't seem to get it to
revert back to normal acpi running. I tried acpi=off, acpi=on, acpi=force
and still my dmesg says I have acpi=ht.....I found a great description of
all the acpi commands available for boot:
http://www.columbia.edu/~ariel/acpi/acpi_howto.txt, but this seems to have
no reset command??? Of course this means now my machine can't do the
adaptive slowing of the processor or keep track of its temperature, I sure
it is running hotter....

Bernd, I had a look at CRUX, not very in depth mind you, I was wondering on
what you think is the main difference between CRUX and, say Fedora or
Ubuntu??? What GUI does it run as default??? And I was hoping you could tell
me your opinion on why its a good Linux OS....

Alexandre, I was hoping you might know of a way to reset the acpi to
"normal" or default running mode. I have tow scripts that I am trying to get
to work; 1) an nvidia that mv's the xorg.conf and sets the grub/menu.lst to
have the kernel argument acpi=ht, and 2) an intel that mv's the xorg.conf to
backup, ie no more xorg.conf and resets the acpi to normal operating....I'm
stalled at the reset acpi point....otherwise it works...

Thank you all again for the help,

Chris