OT: Crux

Chris Down schrieb:

Bernd, I had a look at CRUX, not very in depth mind you, I was wondering on what you think is the main difference between CRUX and, say Fedora or Ubuntu??? What GUI does it run as default??? And I was hoping you could tell me your opinion on why its a good Linux OS....

Chris,
the main difference is that Crux is simple, fast, bloat-free, and source based. Most big distributions come with huge init scripts which pretend to catch any case (but often enough don't), and are controlled by an obscure amount of variables, not unlike the Windows registry. In Crux, the scripts are 10-20 lines long and easy to understand, but you have to write or customize them yourself. This way you have full control over the system, but you must know what you are doing. As the Crux homepage says: the distribution is targeted at experienced Linux users.

Although Crux is somewhat Gnome biased, you can install whatever desktop system you like.

In my opinion, if you are an experienced Linux user OR want to get one and have enough time, Crux is the best distribution. If not, use a big distro like Ubuntu, and hope for the best.

Regards,
Bernd

--
Bernd Eggink